Texas Department of State Health Services' Children with Special Health Care Needs Program Contract, Federal Maternal Child Health Bureau Family to Family Health Information Center Grant, and private donations
From Mock Hearing at 2011 Conference participant:
“The testimonies of children/individuals with
disabilities were awesome - great idea of the process.”
Texas Parent to Parent received a grant from the
Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities
in February, 2011, to train parents, siblings, self-advocates (youth and young adults with disabilities), and other family members, friends, and other interested individuals to advocate for community-based issues in health and human services, accessible transportation and housing, meaningful employment, and appropriate education for people with disabilities. These volunteers will “adopt” their local representative and have monthly interactions with them or their staff in order to create a face to disabilities for the legislators.
TxP2P Advocacy Network volunteers will receive an initial training (expenses covered) and then continuing education via on-going conference calls and webinars, along with monthly reminders via our Adopt-a-Legislator listserv. If you are interested in joining the Advocacy Network, please fill out the registration form and we will contact you shortly.
Statewide Advisory Committee
You may have heard that the recent Sunset Bill eliminated most of the advisory committees in Texas to be reformed under the new Health & Human Services Commission Enterprise. They just closed a three-week public comment period and will soon be coming out with the plan for the future of these committees. See http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/hhs-transformation/advisory-committees.shtml for more information.
There were a few committees that will continue around children and disabilities:
- Children’s Policy Council
- Aging & Disability Resource Center State Advisory Committee
- Early Childhood Intervention Advisory Committee
- Employment First Task Force
- IDD System Redesign Advisory Committee
- Interagency Task Force for Ensuring Appropriate Care Settings for Persons with Disabilities/Promoting Independence Advisory Committee
- STAR Kids Advisory Committee
- State Independent Living Council
- Texas Council on Autism & Pervasive Developmental Disorders
And these will have their functions consolidated with another committee:
- Consumer Direction Workgroup
- Council on Children and families
- Interagency Task Force for Children with Special Needs
- STAR+PLUS Quality Council
- Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Committee
- Texas System of Care Consortium
Watch this page for updates as this process moves forward.
If you have additional questions, please contact Linda Litzinger at 512-922-3810 or the office at 866-896-6001 (local Austin: 512-458-8600) or email her at Linda.Litzinger@txp2p.org